SEND ALL INQUIRIES TO ORDERS@THEBRINERY.COM! Attach your resume to be considered for the position. Decisions will be made on a rolling basis and a trial shift will be required for all candidates prior to hire.
HOURS: PT (16-24 hours/week), shifts are usually 8am-4pm, 2-3 weekdays per week with potential for full-time work. Immediate needs are Tues-Fri.
The Brinery is looking for production rockstars! If you’re interested in working for a small local food business with people who love to eat, work hard and have fun, this might be the job for you.
In this position, you’ll be involved in all aspects of production – from washing vegetables, to hand-mixing kimchi and sauerkraut, to jarring each of our products to be retail-ready! You’ll also help with cleanup at the end of each day (and if you like dancing with a squeegee in you hand, you’ll fit in just fine here).
Since we’re a small company, we all chip in from time-to-time as needs arise. You may find yourself tasked with a construction project (if you’re handily skilled) or representing us at a farmer’s market (if you consider yourself a people person). Some of us even end up in the fields harvesting cabbage if a farmer friend is in need.
- Lift up to 50# multiple times per day
- Knife Skills are a major plus in our business – we’ve been known to tackle some beastly vegetables – but we can also teach you the ways of the cabbage samurai if you’re not very experienced.
- Ability to Stand on Your Feet for up to 8 hours/day
- Comfortable chopping/otherwise using large knives or other large shredding machines that are used in production.
- Maintain Personal Hygiene as you will be in direct contact with foodstuffs
- Attention to Detail during all tasks (e.g. quality control of produce, proper sanitation of workspace and prep areas)
- Dishwashing: We do not have a separate dishwashing position, so you will be expected to share this responsibility with the other production team members.
- Take Responsibility and Pride in your work. Own it.
- If your shift begins at 8am, we expect that you are on the floor working at 8am. Leave a little extra time in the morning to switch your shoes, stash your lunch or grab a glass of water before clocking in.
- Displays The 3 C’s (Competent, Capable & Charismatic): Come to work with a positive attitude, ready to have fun while still getting their work done quickly and efficiently.
- Enjoys Small Work Environments: We have a small staff of employees that work with us each day. A production assistant will relish the thought of working/interacting with around 10 other people each day, in tight quarters.
- Flexible and adaptability are key. Brinery work days may fluctuate based on produce deliveries, events or large orders that need to be filled quickly.
- Dependable: A wise person once said: ‘To be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be late’. We start production right on time every day and we staff each shift based on the amount of work that needs to get done; if one person doesn’t show up, we may be unable to complete what is needed.
- Embraces Change: We are a small & growing business. This means that there will be frequent changes to processes and plans and we all need to bring enthusiasm for these changes to the table.
- A Good Shipmate: We will expect that you take instruction respectfully, but that you will also ask questions and offer helpful/constructive feedback on new systems as we move forward. Cooperation is important in a small business!
- Interested in Fermentation/Local Food Culture: The Brinery is the anchor tenant at the Washtenaw County Food Hub and deeply rooted in local food culture. We will hire the person who shows a genuine interest/curiosity for fermentation, The Brinery & our local food economy.