The Brinery is looking for tempeh production rockstars! If you’re interested in working for a small local food business with people who love to eat, work hard and have fun, this might be the job for you.
In this position, you’ll be involved in all aspects of tempeh production – from cracking and cooking beans to incubating a delicate culture and packaging each of our varieties to be retail-ready! You’ll also help with cleanup throughout the day.
Tempeh is the newest production department in our small company, so initially you’ll be working with a team of just 2-3 other people each day –which means you get to choose the radio station more often ;). You’ll also be expected to sometimes take on an aspect of production independently/with little supervision. Since our tempeh sales are growing rapidly, our production will continue to scale up as well. For this position, we’re looking for someone with a ready-for-anything attitude, who adapts to change well.
HOURS: PT (24-32 hours/week), shifts are Mon-Thurs, 8am-4pm
If you’re interested in more hours, we have opportunities available for demoing.
- Lift up to 50# multiple times per day
- A Delicate Touch is a major plus in the tempeh business – a bit of finesse is required to hand wrap each of our tempeh loaves to retailable perfection.
- Ability to Stand on Your Feet for up to 8 hours/day
- Comfortable working in a kitchen. Part of your job will be to operate the 60-gallon steam kettle in which we cook our beans.
- Maintain Personal Hygiene as you will be in direct contact with foodstuffs
- Attention to Detail during all tasks (e.g. keeping a watchful eye on fermentation temperatures, quality control of finished product, proper sanitation of workspace and prep areas)
- Dishwashing: We do not have a separate dishwashing position, so you will be expected to share this responsibility with the rest of the team.
- Take Responsibility and Pride in your work. Own it.
- Punctuality. “To be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be late.” If your shift begins at 8am, we expect that you are on the floor working at 8am. We start production right on time every day and we staff each shift based on the amount of work that needs to get done; if one person doesn’t show up, we may be unable to complete what is needed. So, leave a little extra time in the morning to switch your shoes, stash your lunch or grab a glass of water before clocking in.
- Respect the Shared Space: The Tempeh production team is part of a larger Brinery community (our vegetable fermentation production crew has 7 employees now!) and part of an even larger community of businesses that work out of shared spaces within The Washtenaw Food Hub. As the anchor tenant of the Washtenaw Food Hub, we expect that all Brinery employees will respect these shared spaces (the kitchens we use to cook our beans, the sinks wash our dishes in) and introduce yourself to anyone that you might not already know.
- Displays The 3 C’s (Competent, Capable & Charismatic): Come to work with a positive attitude, ready to have fun while still getting your work done quickly and efficiently.
- Enjoys Small Work Environments: A production assistant will relish the thought of working/interacting independently as well as sometimes in tight quarters with just a few other people (shared kitchen spaces, for example).
- Embraces Change: We are a small & growing business. This means that there will be frequent changes to our processes and we all need to bring enthusiasm for these changes to the table.
- A Good Shipmate: We will expect that you take instruction respectfully, but also that you will ask questions and offer helpful/constructive feedback on new systems as we move forward. Cooperation is important in a small business!
- Interested in Fermentation/Local Food Culture: The Brinery is the anchor tenant at the Washtenaw County Food Hub and deeply rooted in local food culture. A genuine interest/curiosity for fermentation and our local good economy isn’t a requirement for this position, but is a definite plus!
SEND ALL INQUIRIES TO ORDERS@THEBRINERY.COM! Attach your resume to be considered for the position. Decisions will be made on a rolling basis and a trial shift will be required for all candidates prior to hire so get your resume to us as soon as possible!